Wednesday, September 29, is World Heart Day and in honor of the hardest working muscle in the human body, Health Plan of Nevada wants to provide Nevadans with tips to keep their hearts healthy and strong.
- Laugh Often – Laughing is good for the heart! It reduces stress and has been shown to boost the immune system, so laugh hard and often.
- Exercise Regularly – Exercising regularly is an important part of leading a healthier and happier life. The amount of recommended exercise varies for each person depending on their age/current health, but no matter the form of physical activity you take part in, the health benefits for your heart are immense.
- Eat Healthier – Limit saturated fats, trans fats, sodium, sweets, and sugary beverages. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, poultry, fish, and nuts. These foods can help control your weight and cholesterol.
- Manage Your Stress – The most common types of stress that can impact the heart include workplace stress, financial stress, caregiver stress, and disaster-related stress. Sleep, exercise, and meditative breathing can all help ease stress.
- Limit Alcohol – Excessive drinking may lead to increased heart health risks. The American Heart Association recommends drinking in moderation, this means no more than one to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women.
- Get Annual Wellness Checks – A yearly wellness exam is an easy way to stay on top of your heart health as proper preventative screenings for cholesterol, blood pressure, and diabetes can be conducted during these exams.
- Prioritize Sleep – Poor sleep can be linked to an increased risk for high blood pressure, which may cause heart disease. The American Heart Association found most people need six to eight hours of sleep each night.
About Health Plan of Nevada
Health Plan of Nevada is dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making the health system work better for everyone by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. In Nevada, Health Plan of Nevada offers health benefit programs for individuals, employers, and Medicaid beneficiaries. Health Plan of Nevada is part of UnitedHealthcare, one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified health care company. For more information, visit Health Plan of Nevada www.HealthPlanofNevada.com or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.