June is National Men’s Health Month and Health Plan of Nevada is reminding men of the importance of annual wellness checks. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many had to cancel their annual check-up appointments as we all continued to stay home and worked to reduce the spread of the virus. In recognition of Men’s Health Month, doctors are encouraging men of all ages, including boys, to make an appointment for a wellness check, even if it is via telemedicine.
While the items covered and the health services provided during an annual wellness check vary for patients across different age groups, the importance of following a health plan inclusive of annual check-ups is the same for everyone. Annual check-ups with a doctor can help to:
- Screen for different cancers
- Test cholesterol levels every 5 years
- Test for heart disease and blood tests to screen for diabetes, thyroid disease, liver problems, and anemia, depending on individual circumstances
- Depending on risk factors, and if recommended, screening for skin cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV infection, and alcohol abuse
- Vision and hearing examinations
- Facilitate discussions surrounding mental health and connect patients with help and treatment
- And so much more!
ABOUT HEALTH PLAN OF NEVADA
Health Plan of Nevada is dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making the health system work better for everyone by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. In Nevada, Health Plan of Nevada offers health benefit programs for individuals, employers, and Medicaid beneficiaries. Health Plan of Nevada is part of UnitedHealthcare, one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified health care company. For more information, visit Health Plan of Nevada at www.HealthPlanofNevada.com or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.